16 April 2008

Belated Easter pictures

Currently watching: Popmart--U2 Live from Mexico

Currently reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


So it's been a while since I've posted. The obvious understatement is that I guess life has been a bit crazy. Here's an update through pictures.

Easter was amazing. We had some of our university friends from English corner over to dye eggs. Also, during Easter weekend, many of the new staff participated in a pr@yer walk of the city.


Egg Experimenting:


Zach and Noah giving a demonstration to our local friends about how to properly dye eggs.



The girls' eggs at the varying stages of being dyed.



My friend proudly displaying her egg.



A work in progress!



The girl on the right is Family--please Think of her--that she would have boldness to share with the other members in our group.



I've learned that postcards from America make great gifts (they are small so they travel well and they show pictures of my hometown/state).


Out and About in the City:


On our city tour we stopped by the Taoist temple on Ancient Culture Street. Outside they were doing some sort of time period performance.



Check out the shoes--talk about high-heeled!



Aren't they just beautiful?



Randomly at one of the upscale hotels in town we stumbled upon real, live Easter bunnies.



Being an Olympic host city is giving many areas of town a nice face lift (but it's also causing major traffic in our neighborhood as they dismantled an entire market area and are widening the streets and bike lanes)



In the old British concession area, red telephone booths still exist.



I love the graphic on this sign!



As you might have come to gather, celebrating major holidays looks a bit different living overseas. While a traditional Easter meal in the States (at least in my family) would normally include a honey-glazed ham , scalloped potatoes, and a green bean casserole, a "traditional" meal for us in China has come to include ribs. The most tasty, fall-off-the-bone rib meat is found at a restaurant maybe 30 minutes from our house. This meal in all of its glory (including fried apple and pineapple pieces for dessert!) has come to be our meal for celebrating. This being said, the above picture is of Mia and I outside the rib restaurant on Easter morning. The best part of it is that Mia is wearing my dress I used to wear when I was her age. My aunt bought Laura Ashley dresses for my cousins and I in London many moons ago. It's so fun that she can now wear it! :)


Please Think about our upcoming carnival. It's quite a big event and hopefully will raise enough money to support all of our summer trips.

Speaking of trips, in one month, I will be on our 7th grade spring trip in Shandong province, and in two months, I will be in Inner Mongolia for our middle school summer trip. Oh, and only 20something more contact days with students. If those last two sentences aren't amazing, I don't know what is...

In gratitude of His goodness and faithfulness,
rpm

No comments: