19 April 2008

Bike Repair

Currently listening to: Eyes Open by Snow Patrol

Currently watching: Vitus (a Swiss movie about a piano wunderkind--very good!)

So a few weeks ago, I rode my bike to the local supermarket. I had two locks--one that is attached to my bike and a normal one that can be taken on and off. My bike had sat for a time during the cold winter months, so I'm not sure if that was the cause or if it just decided it was finished, but when I came out of the market, the lock that was attached to my bike wouldn't open. I probably tried for 15 minutes to force the key in but to no avail. Finally, I got so fed up that I just ended up putting my bike in the back of a taxi and taking it home. I had the taxi driver drop me at the back gate where I knew a key maker usually sits. As luck (or providence, I guess) would have it, the key maker was there and I showed him the broken lock. After looking at it, he told me it wasn't good and to wait until he was finished with someone else. So I took a few pictures to show what life on the street corner is like as a businessperson.



The bike/cart of one of the other vendors on the corner. Check out the hand brake on the bar of the bike.



His business all set up for customers--complete with a stool to sit on and wait.



In the bag are a bunch of blank keys ready to be cut.



The tools of the trade.



His solution for my broken lock was to unscrew it from where it was mounted on the bike and then to take a saw to it. Now I have a U lock that isn't mounted--live and learn and then find a skilled key/lock cutter :)


Tomorrow we are headed to the countryside to visit our company's adventure site. Right now we are Thinking about the weather--the current forecast includes a 60% chance of rain. Also, please continue to lift up the preparations for the carnival next weekend.

Seeking the Kingdom,
rpm

1 comment:

Kimberly Geswein said...

What a riot!! I can completely see how that would happen and I'm dying laughing at the thought of you taxiing your bike home!!